Monday, June 2, 2008

Critiques and critique groups part IV

A noted published author in Northern New Mexico doesn't like critique groups. He once said, "Whenever I come home after going to a critique group, I feel like hanging myself."
Now I know what you're thinking. Lauren must be a terrible writer to have such a dark view of critique.

But in my defense, I have a very thin skin and a long memory. In fact, I remember every last negative things said about my writing over the past ten years, in rapid-fire chronological order.

But really, I'm not down on critique at all. In fact, without critique, I might still be the writer I was ten years ago (needs improvement). Several talented and diplomatic writers have helped me see how to take my writing to the next level. One critique partner recognized a Shakespearean angle to my story idea, and that sparked the current incarnation of My Invented Life. (Thank you Ellie, Kimber, Jean-Marie, Miriam, and many others for all that you've done).

If the whole group thing doesn't float your boat, consider one on one manuscript exchange with someone you trust.

I say go for critique, but consider all the feedback carefully, and don't take it too personally, DISCARD what doesn't feel right and LISTEN to the rest.

If I didn't dare put myself out there, I wouldn't have gotten an amazing letter from John Nichols after he read My Invented Life. I called it my "love letter" and read it over and over when I'm feeling discouraged about writing.

No comments: