Sunday, June 15, 2008

A place to write...

Most writers have honed their skill of procrastination to a keen edge. I'll work on that novel when...

my house is clean
my kids don't need me anymore
all my socks match

Let's just say, that time never comes. I've also heard people say, "I'll start writing as soon as I have a place to write." But how many writer wannabes can afford their own office? Not many. So here are a few alternatives:

In a cafe--Cafes provide excellent atmosphere, low rent, and great people watching. Most places won't throw you out as long as you buy a small item every few hours. Warning: The cumulative effects of cappuccinos and scones may have a permanent effect on your personality. (But I was already like this before I started frequenting cafes, honest.)

A personal note: You become a sitting duck for all sorts of conversations in a cafe. Once a man approached me and asked if I could write his novel. (better than asking if I would have his baby, I guess). He sat down and laid out his concept, his characters, and plot ideas. (I'm very polite, so I kept a straight face the whole time.)

Outside in a beautiful spot--this varies by location. In New Mexico, the wind, snow, dust, and mud make this almost impossible for at least half the year.

In the bathroom--Don't laugh. John Nichols (of The Sterile Cuckoo, The Milagro Beanfield Wars, and The Empanada Brotherhood fame) told me that when his kids were young, he used to retreat to the bathroom to write because it was the only room in the house with a door.

Which brings us to...

Any room in the house with a door--All you really need to write is a computer and no interruptions. I write in my bedroom because I'm used to working while stretched out. On the Gaucho, I did all my schoolwork for 3rd, 5th, and 6th grades in my bunk because we had no desks on the boat.

So... no more excuses. Get to work!

No comments: