Saturday, August 30, 2008

Encouraging words

There is an echo chamber in my brain that reverberates with every rejection and harsh critique about my writing. But there is a better place too. It is padded with encouraging words, each as soft as a down feather. Sometimes I forget this place exists. It's pure joy when I discover it again.

Then I remember the time:

my dad liked a story I told him, and asked me to write it down.

A friend spent an hour transcribing my haiku at the beach.

My English teacher read my story aloud to the class.

I won an award for my poetry.

My cousin Leon didn't want to go to dinner because he was engrossed in my unpublished MG girl novel.

Everyone laughed in the right places when I read my pages at a critique group meeting.

I would write no matter what, but moments like these give me a boost. Every writer has them. Would anyone like to share?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for getting in touch...and I can't wait to share all your news with the Book Club gang out here.
Congratulations on "My Invented Life"...and sorry we didn't manage to be in Singapore the same summer-we were there in 2007.
More to come by email...Lots of Aloha from Elaine and family