Friday, August 15, 2008

attitude

My main character, Roz Peterson, has attitude...maybe too much attitude. I worship her of course. She's my creation. And I envy her courage.

But what about my readers? What if Roz calls her rival a fly-bitten flax-wench (a shabby prostitute)? Are you so turned off that you put down the book? Or do you laugh?

One bit of feedback I received on earlier drafts went like this: you have broken the number one rule of children's writing by having an unlikable main character.

Except teens aren't children. They see that the world is complex. That individuals are a mixture of good and bad.

But are you readers willing to read on if you don't like the main character at the outset? What if you start to like her more as the book progresses?

I need answers.

In the meantime, I have revised My Invented Life to emphasize Roz's good qualities that run interference when she contemplates doing a bad thing.

What do you think?

No comments: