Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mother Son Book Clubs

I have belonged to one book club or another for more than ten years. I like them! My book club homies motivate me to read challenging books, ones I would’ve never picked up on my own. Our discussions take us to wild and true places. But I’ve never belonged to a Mother Daughter Book Club. I don’t have a daughter. I have two sons, though, and they both love to read.

So what if I started a Mother Son Book Club? Maybe that would be a good activity for when the teen-age years hit (in 1 year, 1 month, and 5 days). A quick trip to the land of Google yielded little. I found one interview here:

http://litguides.com/2008/07/23/mother-son-book-club/

Just like in my regular book club, we could choose books that lead to excellent discussions about the nature of good and evil, difficult choices, and world history.

I’m considering: Elijah of Buxton, The Golden Compass, Holes, and the Lightning Thief.

Any other suggestions?

My husband thinks this idea is about as crazy as Father Daughter Balls, btw. But I'm not so sure.

2 comments:

Ryan MCFC said...

I think this is a great idea in theory! Although, I'm a grown boy (33) who would gladly join a book club with my mom. I'm pretty sure that teenage me would have just scowled and put my headphones on.

Maybe you can make it work if you get them hooked on it now before the scowling begins! Hurry up!

I HIGHLY recommend The Last Apprentice series. I really don't understand why I don't see these listed more. Great writing, great traditional version of magic and witches, scary, and lots of good character development. I would also suggest Terry Pratchett's We Free Men and the subsequent books in that series. I could give it almost the same description except replace scary with extremely funny!

Both great books for boys and mom's.

Lauren Bjorkman said...

I've been meaning to check out the Last Apprentice series. Thanks for reminding me!

I laughed when you described your teen-aged self!