Sunday, April 27, 2008

And my point is...

All beginning writers make mistakes.  Let me rephrase that...all beginning writers named Lauren Bjorkman make mistakes.  All other writers are perfect. (If you're one of those perfect writers, you can stop reading right now.)

I mean it. Stop.

So one of my blog goals (besides making fun of myself) is to help writers avoid the pitfalls I fell headlong into AND to announce the things I did right.

WHAT I DID RIGHT (blare of trumpet)...

I joined the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Then I found a critique group through the Honolulu chapter. I went to SCBWI conferences and workshops.

But...(there is still a little mistaKe in there)... I waited until my novel was almost finished before finding a group.

The advice moment is upon us. Duck! 

If you haven't already, join a writing group immediately.  If the first one doesn't work out, drop out and join another, and if that doesn't work out, then drop out and join another. And if THAT doesn't work out...it could be that YOU are the problem (just kidding) (maybe).

And my point is...writing groups don't always work out. But when they do, they can propel your writing to new heights, so don't give up.

2 comments:

rhabyt said...

If you haven't seen it, this is a great short video about mistakes and rejection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hz_s2XIAU

Lauren Bjorkman said...

Thanks for the link, rhabyt. Very inspiring. I think a lot of people are stopped in their tracks by apparent failure and the acerbic comments of others. I hope all is well in the East.