Saturday, September 20, 2008

Low moments

When an editor at an excellent publishing house requested a full manuscript of my first novel from a query (letter plus three chapters), I told myself not to get excited. After all, this had happened to me once before. And the editor passed on my book in the end.

(Fact: Some editors only offer on one in ten manuscripts they request.)

Still, hope has this way of creeping through the barriers. Like helium. Some part of me did a dance of happiness.

After four months of waiting, I sent a follow up letter. A month after that I got a reply. She was still considering my manuscript. More helium seeped in.

When the rejection finally came, it hit me hard. It came ten months after my original submission. It came as a form letter. The letter was addressed to Dear Writer.

Then I did a stupid thing and burned a bridge. I wrote the editor an email telling her I thought she should've written me a personal note after holding onto my mss so long. She never wrote back. Writing the email didn't make me feel better.

So ... don't use me as a role model.

Well except for one small thing. I dusted myself off and kept writing.

So do that!

No comments: