Saturday, July 19, 2008

workshops

Years ago...when I just finished the second draft of my first novel, I started attending conferences for writers. Often the main attraction of these conferences would be a critique session with a real live editor from a major house, and with that the opportunity to make a sale.

Sadly, it didn't work that way for me.

Although these conferences taught me how editors think (talk about a diversity of working styles!), I recommend workshops over conferences. Workshops focus on the art and craft of writing, and each one I've participated in has helped me bring my writing up a notch.

Workshops are great for networking. I prefer multi-day workshops because you dig deeper and get to know the other participants better.

And the clincher...networking can be an effective way of finding a publisher for your work.

Happily, it worked that way for me!




No comments: